- landscape gardener
- nounsomeone who arranges features of the landscape or garden attractively• Instance Hyponyms:↑Downing, ↑Andrew Jackson Downing, ↑Le Notre, ↑Andre Le Notre, ↑Olmsted, ↑Frederick Law Olmsted, ↑Vaux, ↑Calvert Vaux
* * *noun: one who is skilled in landscape gardening
* * *landscape gardener noun• • •Main Entry: ↑landscape
* * *landscape gardener,a person whose business is landscape gardening.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ -ers [count]: a person who designs and creates large gardenslandscape gardening noun [noncount]
* * *ˌlandscape ˈgardener [landscape gardener landscape gardeners] nouna person whose job is designing and creating attractive parks and gardensDerived Word: ↑landscape gardeningCulture:British landscape gardening developed in the 18th century under artists such as William ↑Kent who tried to create landscapes with a natural, informal effect similar to those seen in 17th-century Italian painting. Artificial lakes and buildings such as temples or ‘ruins’ were specially created for this purpose. The most famous figure in British landscape gardening was Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, who designed the gardens at ↑Longleat House and ↑Blenheim Palace.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
landscape gardener — landscape gardeners N COUNT A landscape gardener is a person who designs gardens or parks so that they look attractive. Syn: landscape architect … English dictionary
landscape gardener — ➡ landscape gardening * * * … Universalium
landscape gardener — noun Date: circa 1763 a person who is engaged in the development and decorative planting of gardens and grounds • landscape gardening noun … New Collegiate Dictionary
landscape gardener — one who plants and maintains gardens, one who creates gardens according to the design of a landscape architect … English contemporary dictionary
William Henderson (landscape gardener) — William Henderson was a landscape garderner from Birkenhead, England. He was responsible for laying out the grounds of Corporation Park, Blackburn (1857); Alexandra Park, Oldham (1865); Queen s Park, Bolton (1866). [ [http://www.english… … Wikipedia
Landscape architecture — involves the investigation and designed response to the landscape. The scope of the profession includes architectural design, site planning, environmental restoration, town or urban planning, urban design, parks and recreation planning. A… … Wikipedia
landscape gardening — landscape gardener. the art or trade of designing or rearranging large gardens, estates, etc. [1795 1805] * * * Process of arranging land, plants, and objects for human use and enjoyment, usually with long and close up views. Cyclical growth and… … Universalium
landscape architect — landscape architects N COUNT A landscape architect is the same as a landscape gardener … English dictionary
landscape gardening — n [U] the profession or art of arranging gardens and parks so that they look attractive and interesting >landscape gardener n … Dictionary of contemporary English
landscape gardening — n. the art or work of placing or arranging lawns, trees, bushes, etc. on a plot of ground to make it more attractive landscape gardener n … English World dictionary